Rainbow Lake and the surrounding area were developed in the 1930s and 1940s by Willie Winthrop, a developer who envisioned a string of lakes and summer homes here in Ridgefield.
Three lakes were created; Wataba Lake, Fox Hill Lake, and the lake running south along Lakeside Drive (also originally known as “Lake Number 3.”). Many of us now know Wataba Lake as Rainbow Lake, as it is referred to on Google Maps.
Most of Rainbow Lake’s original homes remain, along with some more recent construction. Stone foundations and chimneys are a mark of the original cottages and can still be seen, although many have undergone considerable renovation.
After passing through several owners, the lake was purchased in 1985 by the Ridgefield Lakes Association. The association was chartered in 1943 and has assumed stewardship for several decades. Membership in the association is open to all families that reside within the association’s boundaries.
One of the early brochures!